I am a junkie of many things… makeup, purses, fabric, gadgets, etc. But one of my favorite things to have are these wearable pedometers. The first one that I had was the Nike FuelBand and after that one broke, I moved to the Jawbone UP. The UP band was pretty cool and I liked it alright. In fact, I was just going to get another one instead of the FitBit Surge but my UP bands kept on breaking so I figured that was a sign.
I wasn’t even going to get another one of these watches since they didn’t tell me the time and they kept breaking AND the iWatch was making it’s debut. I’m also an Apple gadget junkie. But after reading everything about the FitBit Surge on the FitBit site, I decided to go ahead and get the Surge.
Per the FitBit website, the Surge has the following features:
- GPS Tracking
- PurePulse Heart Rate
- All-Day Activity
- Long Battery Life
- Notifications + Music
- Auto Sleep + Alarms
- Wireless Syncing
I’ve had my FitBit Surge for a couple of months and I still think it’s one of the better purchases that I’ve made. Here’s what I love:
- Text Message Notifications I hate when I’m working out and my phone alerts are going off but I don’t know if it’s important or not. As a mom, I don’t have the luxury of just sending calls or texts to silent and not doing anything with them. If there’s an emergency with my kids, I can easily see what the messages are saying since they scroll across my watch OR I can just ignore a message and continue my workout. I love this feature.
- It’s A Watch The UP band was cool but it didn’t do the basic function of telling time. I love that it gives me the time! So basic but I love it.
- Tracks My Workouts AND My Steps I don’t have to use my phone to log workouts since I can just specify what workout I’m doing on my wrist. This is so convenient for me.
- All Day Tracking of My Pulse This isn’t important to most but it is to me since I like to see what my heartrate is doing. I found out not too long ago that I have a heart condition where I essentially have a leaky valve. It’s not something to worry about (so they say) but now I feel better knowing what’s going on with my beats. I’m also a super anxious person so I have a visual that reminds me to calm down.
- I Can Compete Against Others I’m super competitive and I love that I can challenge my friends in various competitions. It makes it so that it’s a community thing to get your steps in which I’m all for.
- It Tracks Your Sleep Automatically By the end of my days I can barely remember to take my clothes off for bed–I certainly can’t remember to turn my watch on sleep mode but this does it for me. I love this.
- The App is Lovely It really is. You can track your food intake, water, etc and it calculates how many calories you need to consume based upon your activity for the day.
- It Takes Into Account That I’m Nursing Yep. This is the only app that I’ve seen that does this. It auto adjusts my caloric intake based upon that I’m a nursing mom. I’m SOOOOOOO here for this!!!!
- You Choose Your Goals They can be activity time, steps, calories but it’s up to you. This is awesome.
As much as I love my Surge, there are a couple of drawbacks from it:
- The Wristband This thing is soooooo bulky and sooooo not meant for sensitive skin. My skin is always getting chaffed. It was so bad I had to go about a month without wearing it! That and it’s pretty mannish looking.
- Alarms I chronically sleep through alarms. Like I can never wake up for them ESPECIALLY this one! The buzzing is so soothing I swear it just makes me sleep harder! I’d also like to see a reminder to get moving if I’ve been idle for 30 minutes.
- It’s Not Waterproof I love swimming but I can’t wear this in the water and I hate that.
Do you wear a smart watch/wearable pedometer? If you’re a FitBit user, add me as thecrunchymommy!
**This post contains affiliate links. Using them will help support me so don’t be shy and share the love!**