Please give a warm welcome to my friend Carla! She is the owner of The Loc Doc and a certified personal trainer as well as a comedian who missed her calling. Check out these tips that she shares below on why to work out with your significant other and join me in congratulating her on her engagement! I guess all those pheromones worked in her favor!
Couples that workout together, stay together. I know, I know, it is so cliché… but it is true. I love to workout. On Facebook, some might even be annoyed by my daily gym selfies and check-ins. Working out is a part of who I am. So, it’s no surprise that I fell in love with a man who shares the same passion for weights and cardio. In fact, our love blossomed at the gym. It is where we would meet at least 4 times a week for the first two months after our first date. Though it wasn’t my intention, working out, instead of going out, took off the normal pressure that usually comes with dating. No pressure to look cute (but it helped that I did wear cute workout clothes). No pressure to being calm, cool, and collected. No pressure of being a “lady” (I am a beast in the gym.). No pressure at all. So after the love grew and we became officially a couple, I realized that working out must be a permanent part of our relationship.
There are millions of reasons why working out is beneficial to relationship, here are my top 5:
1. Working out with your significant other is motivating. There is nothing more motivating than hear the person you love say, “One more. You can do it.” I am always pushing my man to do one more rep or to go one more mile. It helps because you know the person is doing it with love. Added bonuses? You never have to ask a stranger to spot you.
2. Those pheromones are real. I tell my boyfriend all the time that it wasn’t me but the pheromones from my sweat that really got him hooked. Pheromones can act as powerful catalysts of sexual attraction. It is scientific.
3. It is accountability at its finest. You can lie to your friends about working out, especially if they don’t see you. But if your accountability partner is your mate, how can you lie to them? Trust me, the guilt is real when you miss a workout and your partner calls you out on it. And to be honest, sometimes that is just the nudge you need to stay on your workout game. My man asks me about my workout, my diet, and his all too favorite, “have you been drinking water today?” He knows my weaknesses and that is what keeps me strong.
4. Your partner understands the importance of your routine and healthy lifestyle. If you are working out together, then your partner can appreciate your gym routine, diet, and everything else that comes with it. For example, Dav understands that Monday through Friday my diet is pretty clean…but on the weekend, I like to indulge in a few goodies (there is science behind it, but that is a different post for a different day). But he understands my diet and doesn’t chastise me because he knows come Monday, I am back on it. I also thinks he doesn’t say anything because he has seemed to adopted my way of eating too.
5. Sometimes working out is like sex, with clothes on. If you are a gym enthusiast or have only been one time, it is hard to ignore the grunting noises made by the folks working out. Well, multiply that my 1,000 has you are laying on the bench trying lift and your man is standing right over you. You are pushing the bar up trying to complete that last rep and he is looking down on you telling you that you can do it. You are sweating. You are breathing hard. Your pheromones are intertwining…(it just got REALLY hot at my laptop). Need I say more?
Outside of the obvious health reasons for working out, these are some great reasons to get sweaty with your significant other.
Do you workout with your babe, boo thing, bae? Check out my video as my husband and I worked out together yesterday here!